Saturday, January 22, 2011

Week 8

Thought it was time to post another entry.
Even though I feel my recovery is so slow, reading back a few weeks I realize how much progress I continue to make.
I now leave my brace off most of the time - but its on when "doing" stuff (housework, feeding horses, out shopping and sleeping). I can use my arm nearly normally now - but it has no strength at all - i still cant open the fridge door, but can open a car door. I am able to lift my arm straight up over my head in a fashion, and can hold it out 90 degrees from my body! AND... for the first time today I did up my own bra, not prettily, but successfully!!
The long awaited fracture clinic appt last week was a big disappointment. Once again they just looked at the xray, not at ME!! It continues to heal well - no xray update to post here as they were "too busy" to download it onto my USB. Told me to come back in 4 weeks! Driving? Not yet. When? At 12 weeks he said.
They did send me to the hospital physio, who was also a disappointment - just gave me some "active assisted exercises" (meaning using the other arm or a broom stick to help the movement - not my own muscles) I felt this was too basic for what I was actually already doing!! He said he would talk to his senior (he was about 20!) and would see me in 2 weeks.
In total frustration on Friday 2 days ago (day off from work) I got in the car and drove around to do all my chores!! What a wonderful sense of freedom it was to be autonomous again, and in my opinion totally safe. When I am at the hospital for next weeks physio, I am not leaving till someone actually looks at ME, and what I can do and gives me a clearance to drive. (this is what my boss needs to give me back my company car)
So in short, I am feeling pretty "healed". I only have an ache when I use my arm to do things, my muscles are absolutely week as..., so if I don't get any joy from the hosp physios as to proper strengthening exercises, I will revisit my private one, and get some hard core stuff to do.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Marie - my DH broke his humerus and is sleeping in a recliner. While he is not in much pain he is suffering from insomnia. Any suggestions? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I took one "restavit" tablet every other night. (was scared of getting dependent on them, but I'm sleeping fine now)

    Its real name is "Doxylamine" and you can buy it over the counter in Australia. Its a relaxant rather than a sleeping tablet, and just helped me get back to sleep when I woke up every time I moved. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  3. Writing to thank you for your blog.
    Anyway, nearly identical story as mine. Ice and all. I'm in my 4th week. Right arm, right-handed.
    My good friend is a PT (physiotherapist). She and the MDs of Few Words have both said, "There's nothing much to do but wait patiently (my word)." In my case, to wait for the swelling to go down.
    However, if there's anyway you can find a quality PT Clinic, start their treatment.
    It's all about the mini muscles within the greater muscles we know: bicep, triceps. So, the silly small movement exercises for these many little muscles are the "first" area to strengthen, not the greater muscles. Those will follow along, anyway.
    Starting this way will prevent chronic aches and pains in the years to come.
    Thank you again. Well done & and more reassuring than any of the pros I've met.

    ReplyDelete