Saturday, January 1, 2011

week 2

Another visit to Fracture clinic, another long wait.
7.7 mm gap between the bones
This time the Dr didn't really like what he saw on xray, and said i may need to have it plated after all, seeing as the bone ends were still 7.7mm separated. But after some humming and haaing, decided to wait 2 more weeks !!
This didn't instill me with much confidence, and at this stage I was wishing they had plated it at the start. I still couldn't move my lower arm at all, still flopping around like I'd had a stroke. The pain had settled somewhat. I asked the head Dr what I should be doing, and he basically said "let pain be your guide". So I came home a little more confident that I could do a bit around the house (cooking, washing, folding, feeding the horses - but not house work yet!) with my arm securely strapped into my sling so it wouldn't move/flop too much.
I worked out a way of adding an extension to my "collar and cuff" sling so I could have it around my upper forearm, around my back, and then around my wrist, this also stopped my neck aching from so much drag.
Still only working every second day, with a rest day in between to recuperate and also get some Christmas shopping done, because with one arm everything is so much slower, in fact at times it was nice to have a legitimate reason for not moving at my usual 100 miles an hour.
It is also an interesting position not being able to drive, as I have spent years being the designated driver every time we go out  - so now I have an excuse to over indulge, and hubby has to remain sober (tricky around the festive season)!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment